Monday, February 9, 2009

Family Holiday, Week 2: Edinburgh

Here are a few more pics from the Dalhgren family visit to Scotland.
Week two with the fam. was spent in Edinburgh. We rented a funny little flat located right in the middle of everything. We visited Edinburgh Castle, the Palace of Holyroodhouse, shopped a bit, took the train to Stirling for a day to see Stirling Castle, and of course, celebrated New Years Eve (known as Homanay 'round these parts).

Princes Street decorated for the holiday festivities.The view from the castle, Princes Street and the gardens with the stage set up for Hogmanay concerts.
Edinburgh Castle.Edinburgh at night.
The Palace of Holyroodhouse, still used by the Queen in the summer months.

Look behind the couple walking across the street. Yep, its Batman in a kilt. He was wandering around the ridiculously long line for Hogmanay tickets.

So I have discovered that New Years Eve is HUGE in Scotland. They call it Hogmanay and it is a big deal, with Edinburgh hosting what is basically a city wide party. Honestly, people came from everywhere to Edinburgh for Hogmanay. Soren and I didn't really decide to buy tickets until just a couple days before, when I found out that Paulo Nutini (or as Soren called him Paulo Nutella Martini) was going to be there. The morning of New Years Eve found Soren and I standing in line in St. Andrew's Square to see if we could buy tickets to the show. There was only one line for picking up pre-ordered tix and for buying, although it seemed that most everyone was there just to pick up tix. After only an hour Soren and I were moved out of the line and taken straight up to the ticket counter to buy tickets!! Sweet! At that point the line was like two and a half city blocks long.
Opening a can of Haggis, our newest addition to New Years Even supper. :)
The great production that was New Years Eve supper.

One of my favorite pics. Even though I know there really wasn't anything left in there. Grandma and I were celebrating a bit before Dad sat down with us. :)

No comments: